Saturday 5 October 2013

Musings on play, choice and self-direction

At the moment I am on my 2 week break, so I have some time and energy to plan and revamp some of my ideas.
As I read about the Daily 5 and how important it is that children can self direct and choice their learning goals, I made connections with the wonderful Walker Learning Approach. If you're not familiar with it, here is a youtube clip...

Video - what is the Walker Learning Approach?

Here is the official website: http://walkerlearning.com.au/info/

This is only my second year of teaching Prep (the first year of full time schooling in Tasmania) so it's been a steep learning curve, but wow, play is definitely a powerful tool! I have put a lot of effort into it this year by setting up topic based play areas such a post office, and giving children lots of open ended opportunities to play and discover and manipulate materials such a counters, blocks, magnetic letters, playdough and animal counters. It's amazing what the children come up with! I just cruise around the classroom with my camera and record their hilarious conversations!

If you're worried about bosses questioning a dolls house, lego, play kitchen or pirate ship in your classroom and saying that it's not "in the curriculum", well, my answer would be YES, it is! First and foremost, it's literacy! Oral language is CRUCIAL in the early years! The English Curriculum asks for rich, topic based vocabulary and speaking and listening skills.

What do you think? Do you still have time and support to have play-based learning in your classroom?

1 comment:

  1. I am sure to make time for play-based discovery each week... but to be honest I'm waiting for the day when the 'powers that be' tell us that we need to scrap it. I hope that day never comes! :)

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete